Sunday 12 April 2015

Annan Riding of the Marches ~ July 2013

Having found out about such rides when visiting Hawick & Denholm for Hogmanay 2012, I made some enquiries, organised a horse for the day, booked 2 nights B&B & a return train ticket, & I was sorted.
This what it was all about:

Annan Riding of the Marches (RoM)

History of the Traditional Scottish Event

historic traditional ceremonies in South West ScotlandAnnan Riding of the Marches (ROM) can claim to be one of the largest and oldest historic traditional ceremonies in South West Scotland.
The event draws significant media attention from press, radio and local TV. The ROM calendar of fundraising events runs throughout the year in order to finance the annual celebrations.
The fortnight of events culminates on the "First Saturday of July".
On that morning as the Annan Town Clock chimes 8-o-clock the Annan Cornet and his Lass lead a cavalcade of riders out of the town round the burgh boundaries, the traditional words "Safe Oot, Safe In" ringing in their ears. They will be forging the latest link in a chain of tradition dating back almost 700 years.
In those days, their forefathers were forced by grim necessity to check the town’s boundaries (or marches) to ensure that its landmarks (crosses, cairns, wells and even streams) had not been removed or tampered with by English marauders. Their aim was to ensure that the burgh boundaries were maintained in good order.
checking the boundaries
Stops around the 15 mile boundary are nowadays regarded as a mere respite for horses and riders, but were once essential steps in the security of the boundaries although nowadays they are part of the ancient tradition.
One instance is the "Hole in the Hedge" ceremony at Landheads. In olden times Willie Crone’s Smithy stood where the hedge now is, and it is claimed that when the Smithy was in its heyday, a boy was pushed through its window to look out for approaching marauders. Each year a different local boy is chosen to be ‘skelped’ through the hedge to mark both the site and the tradition.
The Burgh SnuffboxThe Burgh Snuffbox is also passed around at this time – presented to the Burgh of Annan in 1807 by Brigadier General Dirom, the principal’s practice of taking a measure of snuff has been an essential part of the tradition ever since.
Finally the cavalcade will circle around the Alter Stane in the channel in the Solway Firth (the most southerly part of the Marches), before returning with the Burgh Standard to take part in the traditional horse chases on the banks of the River Annan – a reminder of grimmer times when the men of Annan would physically chase reivers and invaders from their lands.
The Burgh Standard will have been shown at all points of Annan’s ancient boundaries, the markers will have been checked, and hopefully, all will be well !!!
So now you know!
I left work just after lunch, & got a train to Annan via Preston & Carlisle.
I'd found out that there was the "Cornet's Supper" on the Friday night, with possible dancing, & organised a ticket. Once checked into the B&B, I went for a wander to see where the venue was.
Happily - see below ;-p, the B&B was less than 100m from where we started the next morning, and about 300m from the High St. Very handy :-)
I'd taken the wedding dress (having got one in 1995 that didn't look like a blancmange, & was wearable as a 'posh-frock'), & got my self dolled-up at the B&B. From the look on his face when I left, the Landlord wasn't used to seeing posh-frocks ;-)
TBH, the Cornet's Supper was a bit of a let-down. The meal was OK, but there was no dancing after the speeches. At least I'd been able to organise a hat which I was to pick up next morning. 

It was an early start, & I was down the road by 6.15. The Landlord had drawn the short straw to get up and give me breakfast!
As well as a hat, I was minus a riding jacket (The blue one had gone in the charity bag in 2006 ~ once I'd bought myself a new blazer to wear when reffing kick-boxing fights, & the hacking jacket had gone the same way years before).
I must admit, I felt pretty underdressed. Oops!
The 2013 Cornet having a chat at about 0630
I eventually found the guy with my horse. He was a brown called Criollo, which is a breed of horse from South America. Here's a link: 

Criollo horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His owner was an Argentinian, & from the odd comments from other horse peeps, they didn't reckon much to him. No idea why. His horse was great. I think Criollo may have been a Criollo with an unimaginative name? He certainly had all the characteristics ~ see the link.

Anyway, once aboard I joined the general milling, & we eventually all set off towards the high street. 
Kick-off (unusually) was at 0730, & the next 2 pics were taken just before the cavalcade set off behind the Principals ~ including the Cornet in his red jacket & on his grey horse.






The Riding started at the big brown building with the tower, & initially we rode (at a fast trot) round the back streets leading to the path to the Firth. 
It was kind of southerly.

The Solway Firth is behind the trees dead ahead




The purple (& blue) sash means the wearer is an official of another town's Riding. 
Nice enough bloke, but a dodgy seat!
Mr Purple Sash & a line of horses along the east of the Firth


As you can see, it was pretty muddy Solway-side. Especially after lots of hooves had been that way.
I wonder what they do when the tide's in?


IRO the route, Kevin Edgar's report gives a precis. It's at the bottom.



Once we were all on the sand the Principals set off at a gallop on their own.
Some of the horses left behind got quite excited about the prospect of a gallop, & some of the riders hit the deck. That is, the muddy/sandy/wet deck :-/
They weren't the last to fall off that day!

The guy in the yellow waistcoat was there with his wife & 10 year old daughter. It was her 1st Riding

We would gallop more or less along the tractor tracks

This bit reminded me of the Morecambe Bay walk
 I did with Kim & Opkhar in July 11

The gallop was pretty hairy, & I had to take Criollo in a big circle to stop him. They so love to run!
A few more hit the wet deck, before we followed the Principals back onto dry land, & a few country lanes & tracks.

This was where we had our 1st pit-stop. Or in the case of some horses & riders, the 1st piss-stop.
 
No apologies for the pun.

After some malt & shortbread we set off again ~ at a gallop!
2013 Cavalcade gallop
I got this pic off the official website. You can see why peeps may have brake problems! Shame it copied blurred :-/
We went left at the end of this track, & the next pic is a shot of the horses & riders still coming down it.
















We were ultimately headed towards the 'lunch' stop at the old Annan power station at Chapelcross. 
I call it lunch, but it was only just after 10, I think?

If you know your nags, you can tell we were trotting in all the pics.
Fortunately, Criollo just trotted on while I was turning in the saddle to take pics. 
Good lad :-)








We went under the A75 & up this farm track, & as you can see from the next couple of pics, there were some very small folk taking part.





Tiny pony & rider at Chapelcross
Criollo grabbing a bite of lunch


We were given sandwiches & a drink at Chapelcross, & kind folk came round with buckets of water for the horses.
I had 2 ham sandwiches, & Criollo had grass & a carrot I had in my bumbag.
Several people came up & asked about Criollo, & one girl said she'd ridden him further east earlier that year, and at Annan previously.

That explained why he was so good at his job ~ he was an old hand. Thanks mate xx



Someone took this pic, but Criollo wouldn't pose for the camera!
Just after I'd got (stiffly) back aboard, a TV film crew came by for an interview. Apparently there was a girl from Orkney visiting for the ride, plus me from Blackpool (& that was newsworthy!?)
I took this while I was being interviewed!
I've never seen the final piece, but it was on the local telly apparently!

A lot more trotting along the country lanes followed, interspersed with canters/gallops across fields & along tracks.
After one field I noticed the guy I'd talked to on the Firth (with the 10yr old) had a big green grass stain on his yellow pants. He'd obviously parted company with his horse, & he said that when he'd tried to pull up, his horse had gone right & he'd gone left. The green stain was due to being dragged on his bum before he'd let go of the reins. 
Happily his horse stopped & didn't head back to Annan!

Re the trotting along the road, I was reminded about an old 19C saying:
"it ain't the 'untin' on thi 'ills that 'urts the osses 'ooves, but thi 'ammer, 'ammer, 'ammer on thi 'ard 'igh road
Attributed to Jorrocks, but not sure. Whoever said it back then, we were certainly doing a lot of trotting that Saturday.


We stopped for quite a while for the Hole in the Hedge ceremony, & there was another halt in a wood where a lady came round with the rosettes. 
I still have mine ~ somewhere.

That stop was our last before the return to town, & the races by the river at Galabank Park. 

There were various classes for weight if rider & age of rider, & the type of horse. There was a real party atmosphere. 
I wish I'd got this bloke's E-address ~ I like pictures of peeps taking pictures ;-)


I entered the open race, so called because anyone could enter it. 
I think Criollo & I came 4th?

Criollo always seemed happy & interested :-)
Well, his ears were always forward, anyway
Races over it was back into town the long way round so we could parade down the High St. We went through a housing estate where it seemed everyone was watching us go by from all sorts of viewpoints :-)



The Principals & Criollo's ears again
Then we hit the High St, by which time I had been chatting to the girl from Orkney for about 10 min, & we'd managed to ride up right behind the Principals!
There's even a picture (which went in the local paper) of the underdressed yours truly, and the Principals :-) I'm the one with the light coloured top between the R-hand red jacket & the white-faced horse.
Annan Riding of the Marches

After a bit more speech-making, it was time to ride back towards the station where I gave Criollo back. It was about 1430, and considering I'd had him since before 0700, £140 was a Real bargain at <£20 an hour. 
You can't get a hack on a grotty nag from a riding school for that!





This is me, Criollo & Mr Argentino.
And Criollo still looks happy :-)



After that I hobbled back to the B&B for a shower & change.

I was Very sore & stiff after more than 7 hours riding, & was also very glad the B&B was so close to the station yard where we & all the horses had congregated.


Washed & changed I went to the fairground for a look round & to find some food. I ended up in a very busy chip shop & had a massive plate of fish & chips, a brew, & a toasted currant teacake :-q Yum.



There had been a marching bands competition on, & all the competitors marched in the evening parade. 
I think this boy got a top prize. He was very clean in his movements ~ not that I know much about how they judge marching bands ;-p, but if you zoom in you can see he's got his baton on his thumbs 


There was all sorts going on - including the fair, until very late, but I was too tired to be particularly sociable, & went back to the B&B after the Prize-givings.

Next morning I had a late breakfast & had another look round Annan.
I ended up at the park by the river where we'd had the races. There were some great trees, but my camera's battery had died, so no pics.
I walked all the way Criollo & I had raced, & at the end of the curve found a nice wooded track alongside the river Annan. As the river curved westerly there was a small metal bridge just south of the A75 bridge which allowed me to cross and walk back towards Annan. The river path went south-westerly and then south-easterly as far as the bridge on the B721.

Crossing the main road by the Blue Bell Inn, I carried on walking east of the river until the rail bridge, when I went left, back towards town & Station Rd where the B&B was.
It was a nice day, & a lovely walk to ease yesterday's stiffness. 
I wondered what Criollo was doing. Having a day off, hopefully?
Once back at the B&B, I picked up my bag, & headed off down to the Station House pub where I planned to have a bite before the train.
It wasn't until 1/4 past 3, so I sat in its little garden writing up my notes for this.
No particular hold-ups on the way home, & I was back at 171 about 1830 having had a walk from Blackpool North.
Fortunately, all the walking had eased the leg & back stiffness I'd woken up with, & I hoped Criollo was OK, too.

Thanks Criollo, you were a great ride for the Riding. 
Maybe we'll hitch-up again one day?

This is the RoM website link, & I'm in some of the pics. You have to know where to look tho!
 2013 Annan RoM 

OAO

No comments:

Post a Comment