Monday 29 May 2017

Svalbard 2015-1: June 29th & 30th ~ Dundee, Aberdeen & the Polar Pioneer

Day 1: June 29th~Blackpool to Dundee
After booking my Aurora expedition, I'd found out there was a dance at Broughty Ferry on the 29th, so I went up by train to Dundee, where I would AirBnB with Kathleen for the night.
I got to Dundee after midday & on my way to find a coffee & somewhere to eat my packed lunch I came across these fellas:
The penguins on the wall at City Churches,
Dundee. Apparently, they are Dundee's
version of Glasgow's Wellington.
Not sure what he'd think of that!
There are some cute pics of them online wearing colourful jumpers if you have a look.
My digs were about a mile up the hill, so I didn't mind sharing the bed with a cat when I got there.


As Kathleen was still tidying the room, I left her to it & walked further uphill to the Dundee Law.
On the way I found this poor bee struggling on the footpath, so I put him on a flowery bush before he got trodden on.

It was a bit dull, but there were still lovely views across the Tay to Fife (where I been in Aug '13 for my birthday).
That's the Tay Rail Bridge
According to Wiki, Law is possibly from the Gaelic for a mound, or Anglo-Saxon hlāw
Either way, it is the plug of an extinct volcano, so I was on a volcano in Scotland! Makes a change from being on one in NZ ;-p
The view compass, the war memorial &
the Tay rail bridge.
I think I must've climbed on something
to get the angle on this??
Here's a bit more about it:
Despite the derivation of "Law" suggesting it would be tautological to do so, the Law is commonly referred to as the "Law Hill", including by Dundee Council itself.
Archaeological evidence of burials suggest that the law may have been used by human settlers 3500 years ago. 
During the Iron Age it was the site of a Pictish settlement. Roman pottery has been found on the law, suggesting that the Romans may have used it as a lookout post in the first century. The Law played host to an important event in 1689. On 13 April 1689 Viscount Dundee raised the Stuart Royal Standard on the Law, which marked the beginning of the first Jacobite rising.
The Law has a tunnel which runs through it. Closed in the 1980s, it used to be used for the railway to Newtyle. In 2014 a campaign was started to reopen it as a tourist attraction.
A war memorial to the fallen in both world wars was constructed atop the summit which was first unveiled on May 16, 1925. In the years 1992 to 1994 the facilities on the summit of the Law were upgraded by Dundee District Council and Scottish Enterprise Tayside with additional funding from the European Commission's regional development fund. The memorial is lit with a large flame at its top on a number of significant days, viz: 25 September (in memory of the Battle of Loos, in which many members of the local Black Watch regiment lost their lives), 24 October (United Nations Day), 11 November (Armistice Day) and Remembrance Sunday.
The Tay road bridge.
Newport on Tay is at the other end

I think those are the University buildings on the right?
Currently, my friend's son, Jack, is studying there.
After wandering around & taking photos from various viewpoints it was time to head back down as I was being picked up by the Treasurer, George, & needed to change for the dancing.
Jack's been in Dundee a while now, so he must've
seen these views.


I took a scenic route passing back gardens & people busy at it.





I'd told George where I was staying & he picked me up outside my AirBnB at 1845.
It was in St Stephen's & West church hall in Broughty Ferry, & (as usual), I was one of the youngest there.
Our live band for the evening
I knew most of the dances, but they walked quite a few to help out the new dancers who were still learning the ropes.
Turn by the left
Walking is where the MC gets on the mic & reads out the directions so that those who don't know it can walk through the dance, slowly, & without the music. All they have to do then is remember it at speed (except for Strathspeys which are slower than Jigs & Reels).
By remember it, you have to remember:
~ where you're going;
~ what movement you're doing when you go there;
~ who you're doing the movement with.
In addition, you have to keep up with the music & do the correct things with your feet!
I don't have a record of the dances, but I remember we
did dance Blooms of Bon Accord ~ ~
When I first started SCD in March 2009, I would call it my Dr Kawashima, as SCD really trains your brain :-0   ;-p   :-)
which was pretty appropriate for my trip to &
from Aberdeen the next day
The band play a jig
There was a brew & a biscuit at 1/2 time (shortbread, of course!), & George took me back to Dundee afterwards.
It had been quite a long day ~ I'd left home before 7am, & I got into a bed - now minus the cat, at just before midnight.

Day 2: June 30th~Aberdeen, a ginger German, & all aboard the SkylArk* Aurora
I woke, & tried to find the coffee in the kitchen ~ none :-(
Given I was doing carry-on at the other end, I wore the heavy stuff & set off back down the hill to the station.
Thankfully, it was down. 
Up had been a sweaty walk the day before!




I was due to catch the train to Aberdeen, but not till after 9, so I had time for some photos of the Discovery on my way to the station.
The Discovery

She went all the way to the Antarctic
with Scott & Shackleton
This is what Wiki has to say about her:
RRS Discovery was the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in Britain. Designed for Antarctic research, it was launched as a Royal Research Ship (RRS) in 1901. Its first mission was the British National Antarctic Expedition, carrying Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first, successful journey to the Antarctic, known as the Discovery Expedition. It is now the centrepiece of visitor attraction in its home, Dundee. 
She was rigged as a barque (the fore- and mainmasts being square rig and the mizzen mast carrying a fore-aft sail) and the total maximum sail area was 12,296 square feet (1142 square metres). Following the practice of the most modern sailing ships of the time, the windjammers, she carried split topsails to reduce the size of the deck crew needed to handle them. The ship was rigged to carry several large staysails and the funnel was hinged at the base so it could be laid on the deck when the large mizzen staysail was rigged once at sea. The Discovery was marginally faster under sail than she was under engine - her record for distance travelled in 24 hours is 223 nautical miles (358 km), equivalent to 9.2 knots (10.5 mph, 17 km/h)
The ship has a massively built wooden hull designed to withstand being frozen into the ice and resist crushing. At the time of her launch Discovery was widely held to be the strongest wooden ship ever built. The hull frames, placed much closer together than was normal, were made of solid sections of oak up to 11 inches (27.9 cm) thick. The outer hull was formed from two layers - one 6 inches (15.2 cm) thick and an outer skin some 5 inches (12.7 cm) thick. A third lining was laid inside the frames, forming a double bottom and skin around almost the entire hull. This meant that in places the hull was over 2 feet (60 cm) thick, providing not only formidable strength but excellent insulation against the cold. The construction meant that it was impossible to install portholes (and fitting them would have weakened the hull) so the crew relied on 'mushroom vents' on the deck to allow air and light into the interior.
- - - she was transferred to the Admiralty in 1954 and formally commissioned as HMS Discovery for use as a drill ship for the Royal Navy Auxiliary Reserve and also training ship for the Westminster Sea Cadet Corps. As the years passed, her condition deteriorated and when no longer of use to the Navy, she was in danger of being scrapped. The Maritime Trust, into whose care she passed in 1979, saved her from the breakers yard. Her future secured, she was berthed first on the River Thames next to HMS Chrysanthemum and HMS President, and later in St Katharine Docks. During this time, she remained the home and training ship of the Westminster Sea Cadet Corps. She reverted to the Royal Research Ship (RRS) designation and was open to the public as a museum. The sea cadet unit eventually relocated to on-shore premises in Pimlico situated in the converted basement of a local council estate. The Maritime Trust spent some £500,000 on essential restoration until she was passed into the ownership of the Dundee Heritage Trust in 1985.
On 28 March 1986, Discovery left London aboard the cargo ship Happy Mariner to make her journey home to the city that built her. She arrived on the River Tay on 3 April. Moved to a custom built dock in 1992, Discovery is now the centrepiece of Dundee's visitor attraction Discovery Point. She is displayed in a purpose-built dock, in a configuration as near as possible to her 1924 state, when she was refitted in the Vosper yard at Portsmouth. She is listed as part of the National Historic Fleet. Discovery Point is a fully accredited museum and has won numerous national awards,[7] as well as being a 5 star rated tourist attraction with Visit Scotland. In 2008, Discovery and the associated polar collections were named as a Recognised Collection of National Significance.The spaceship Discovery One in Arthur C. Clarke's book 2001: A Space Odyssey was named by Clarke after RRS Discovery; Clarke used to eat his lunch aboard her, as she was moored near the office where he worked in London.
The Space Shuttle Discovery is named for RRS Discovery.
Interesting, or what? :-)
It was a local train & stopped nearly everywhere on the way up, but I was still in Aberdeen before eleven. I'd arranged to try & meet some Aberdeen colleagues (who I'd spoken with on the phone & E'd many times) so I could put faces to names. I'd Gmapped their office, so set off to find it, only to find they were out!  I was expected, though, so Security let me in & I had a brew while I waited.
As usual, my imagined Stephen, Iain, Alexander, Maire & Bruce were nothing like the real thing! For example, I'd imagined Stephen as being tall, slim & blond, but only got the tall bit right!
After a chat & another coffee, it was time to head back to meet Andy ~ see Royal Clipper 2014 blogs.
On the way up & down I took these photos of Aberdeen's amazing Marischal College.
Wow!

The marvelous Marischal College

I met Andy near this statue of
Robert The Bruce

Andy trying not to have his photo taken with
evidence of cake


































I met Andy ~ who'd flown in from Germany that morning, next to Greyfriars' Kirk.




I needed a new watch strap & something to eat, so we went back to the Union Square shopping centre, & I found a bloke who sold leather watch straps on the way.
There was a cafe on the first floor with a view of the port where we had a brew & a catch up. Cake was also involved ;-q
The 1st sight of Aurora's Polar Pioneer

But we weren't allowed aboard her yet.
At Regent Quay we found the ship OK, but had to wait until 1600 before we could board. 
We could leave our bags, though, so that made searching for a pub using Andy's GPS a bit easier.
That said, it didn't seem to want to tell us about any, so I led the way up towards a church whose spire I had seen from down at the dock.
After a climb in the Aberdeen afternoon sun we came upon a cute little square with shops, cafes & several pubs the GPS had appeared ignorant of! ;-)

The Mercat Cross on Castlegate
There were shops :-D, so I left Andy not sunbathing, & had a quick look round.

As well as the Mercat Cross, there was a castellated mansion ~ the Sally Army citadel, a monument to the Gordon Highlanders, & The Archibald Simpson ~ a Wetherspoons which had been a bank & had a great statue over the door.
The Salvation Army Citadel ~
built on the site of Aberdeen Castle

Another view of the Citadel

Being a red-head, Andy doesn't lie in the sun
The Gordon Highlanders statue.
This side is the modern version, &

this side is the traditional one

A close-up of the traditional chap




























































































Vee at VisitAberdeenshire helpfully told me told me the statue was Ceres. I found this a bit odd as Ceres was the goddess of agriculture & growing stuff (incl. human fertility), & she influenced the upholding of some laws. 
A bit of a weird choice for a bank, doanchathink?
Vee also sent me links, & I've discovered that Mr Archibald Simpson designed this building in 1844 as the HQ for the North of Scotland bank.
Aberdeen is full of grey buildings, but is anything but grey. The architecture is gorgeous, largely thanks to Mr Simpson & his respected rival, John Smith.
After taking in the shops, I woke Andy & we had a look & a chat to the bloke in the bookshop on the square. It still wasn't time to board, so we sat outside at Blackfriars ~ where I had a Bunnahabhain & sat in the sun. 
I didn't write down what Andy had, but I have a vague memory of a Guinness, & I know he sat in the shade ;-p 
Then it was time, so we made our way back down the hill to grab our bags & join the peeps queueing by the Polar Pioneer.
Incidentally, queue & queueing are not words familiar to the Americans. They call a queue a line, but 'line' has a number of meanings in English (don't take my word for it ~ take a look in a dictionary), and queueing means you join a queue and wait until you get to the front!
Also queueing is cool as it is the word with the longest consecutive use of vowels in the English language, whereas lining means something totally different.
Also cool is facetious. This is the shortest word in the English language with all 5 vowels in the correct order. Like I said, cool ;-p
Anyway, I digress (previously frequently uttered by Ronnie Corbett ~ Scottish, but from Edinburgh, not Aberdeen (AKA Bon Accord)).
Back down at Regent Quay, we gave up our passports, had our photos taken for the passenger orientation poster (which will be in a later blog), & Robyn welcomed us aboard.
Polar Pioneer's Bridge, davit & mast

I was in a triple shared cabin near the dining room with Lyndall & Margaret. They were from Aus., as were many of my fellow passengers.
The loo was down the passageway, & because the 2 ladies I was sharing with had bagged the bottom bunks, I asked Robyn if there was another cabin closer to a loo where I wouldn't have to climb down from the top bunk during the night.
Apparently not, but she said the cruise was not fully booked & she'd see if there was a solution once everyone was aboard.
There were various crew members dotted about to direct us below, & having dumped my ruckie on a bunk, I took the camera up on deck & elsewhere to record our home for a fortnight.
A lifeboat davit on Polar Pioneer (AKA the
PP). We were all to squeeze into the
lifeboats before casting off
The top deck. AKA the Flying Bridge.
Good name! You were up high with the birds

The nearest Head


The bar lounge & the library with one of the youngsters
reading a previous Aurora Expedition log

My 'carry-on' ruckie & my bunk

It was quite tight for 3 peeps

The Bridge.
The Captain was Yuri & he's in the white shirt






























































































The young lads from the 2 Aus families
Deirdre & Andy Sheppard from NZ & Michael,
the official photographer for the trip.
The bar/lounge was on Deck 4, & we'd all
congregated for Gary's safety briefing
There was tea, coffee & hot choc in the dining room, plus a selection of pastries & biscuits set out for a welcome afternoon tea.
Afterwards, Gary, the Cruise Leader, gave us all a safety briefing in the lounge, & said we needed to have a lifeboat drill before we set sail.
As usual, the ship's horn would call us to the lifeboats with 7 short & 1 long blast, & we had to grab our life-jackets & head to Muster Station on Deck 4 behind the bar before all piling into the boats on Deck 5. There were 2 Polar Class lifeboats for the whole ship, & it was a pretty tight squeeze.
One had to hope that no-one got too nervous if the real emergency arose, or it would've been pretty noisome in there!
Lifeboat drill
Lifeboat drill over, most passengers (there were 46 of us) went on deck to watch us cast-off & set sail for Orkney.
At 1730 the late afternoon was still lovely when the lines were cast, & the PP) set sail.
Jenny.
It was breezy up there as we sailed away


I think the tallest (mid-pic) is the spire
of Greyfriars Kirk, & the assymmetric 1
on the left is the Sally Army turret
Our Pilot boards the PP











































































The Pilot saw us safely out of port, & the PP flew the Saltire as we left Aberdeen.








We all congregated in the bar before dinner for a welcome aboard & crew introductions. 
Gary told us Robyn was Assistant Leader, Ann the Ship's Doctor, the Hotel Manager was Eleni, Carol was there for the History & Archaeology, Heidi was a Naturalist, Stephen was a Zodiac driver & Gunman (ooer!) & Matt was the Kayak leader. There was also Mike the photographer, & Marcos & Dave the chefs, as well as 21 Russian crew.
The Puffin Post for today would tell me that the passengers & crew came from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Germany, Malaysia, NZ, Russia, Singapore, the UK & the US . It was a fair mix, but only a 1/4 of the mix when I was a Counsellor at the La Moubra Summer Camp in Cran-Montana in 1983. There were 43 different nationalities then!
In total, 31 peeps would look after 46 of us, so a great passenger/crew ratio, & much, much better than the ratios on the FAMs.

We were quite a way north, so it was still light after dinner, & I went aloft to the Flying Bridge where I saw a shadow from the setting sun.
A FAM on the evening horizon.
According to the guys on the Bridge, it was Olsen's
Balmoral, so she was not as much of a
Fat-Arsed Monstrosity as some cruise ships are.
















Sunset would get later & later as we travelled north.
Eventually, it wouldn't happen at all
I stayed up there ages, just enjoying the roll afforded by being as high as I could get, & watching for a colourful sunset.
Sadly, I didn't see any pinksreds, oranges, or yellows, just blues & purples, so I went below for a chat with those still up in the bar, & then to bed.
So endeth the first evening aboard the Aurora.
OAO
*But before I go, I should explain: "All aboard the SkylArk" was the call on a TV programme, Noah & Nelly. I don't remember watching it, but the phrase passed into English culture. Take a look at this off Google:
"All aboard the SkylArk, . . . . . . . . . . . .all aboard the SkylArk..."
All aboard!!!!
All aboard!!!!
Who doesn't remember those immortal words shouted by Noah in a Little Gem of a kiddie's program at tea time, nor forget that the animals didn't come on two by two, but one by two, for each animal had two heads. What a concept!
Shame the right-hand picture won't fit on Blogger :-p 

No comments:

Post a Comment