Monday 4 January 2010

Final NZ Blog

I'm here at Auckland Airport with FREE internet access, so catching up on last few days before I fly to the Malaysian section of my adventure.

After the exitement of New Yrs Day, the 2nd 3rd & 4th were fairly boring.

On the 2nd I mozied around Dunedin in very windy weather, looking at the First Church & the Chinese Garden ( a massive disappointment - dirty water, unkempt plants & lacking in any real spirituality).

I did replace my cerise wheelie with 2 smaller lime green jobbies, though. A 2 4 1 deal at Farmers on George St.

On Sun 3rd I went by bus to Port Chalmers. It was a manky day to start, but after a look round some of the galleries on the main street (another George, I think?), it came out sunny, so I doffed as much clothing as was decent & had a walk up the hill to the Flagstaff, followed by a walk down it again via the scenic ( ;-P ) wood piles awaiting transport to the far flung corners of the globe.

My driver on both legs was Scott, who kindly picked me up in town & gave me a free trip up to the heights of Harrington Street with a view over the Otago Peninsula where I'd been on the 1st.

Back in Dunedin, he also took me to the bottom of High St., so I'd slightly less far to walk home to the digs.

Mon 4th was a bit of a washout, as the bus didn't arrive & it started to rain, so I went back to the digs (I think Jenny was rather surprised to see me) to await dry weather.

As usual, in Dunedin, the wait wasn't too long, so I headed off into town to get a mozzy net, some more Deet repellant & to chat to the aforementioned Nerd.

The first 2 done, & a kebab & mint tea at a Turkish cafe in the tum (sorry Gill, that was yum, too!), a lovely lad called Antonio sorted out my memory sticks & suggested buying another in Malaysia, as such stuff was dear in NZ.

Good tip. Ta, Antonio.

I was back at the digs quite early so did the packing thing etc., but was seriously waylaid by Dirty Dancing on the telly - oops. Well, he was lovely to look at, with all that hip swivelling & all ;-P

So, that brings me to now, & to thank all the totally amazing peeps I've met here. From Laconic Les on the bus to Christchurch to Geeks & Nerds, Smiley Myles at Queenstown, Ben the Orc & of course my lovely landlady, Jenny - who makes 'exceedingly good cakes' - to paraphrase Mr Kipling!

I'm going to stop the eulogies there, as there's Far To Many Nice People In New Zealand to name everyone.

But for me, the biggest thanks must go to Bruce, who enabled me to be a Rider of Rohan, & who may let me do it again in 2011 when I come back for some skiing & some Rugby.

Gotta go now as peeps are waiting to get on the freebie Internet.

Hasta Malaysia, baby

OAO

No comments:

Post a Comment